Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tomato issues



The birds are eating our hard work.  Every time I go outside I lose another 4 or 5 tomatoes.  Yesterday totalled in at around 20!  We did some research last night to see what remedies were out there beside picking them off with the shotgun (and believe me I was so irritated I almost considered it).  
We came across several, including bird netting (can't find it at any of the big box stores or nurseries in the area)...panty hose around the fruit ($$$ expensive $$$, this garden is supposed to save us money)...a fake owl (again, can't find one)... paper bags around fruit (really, really inconvenient)...after scrambling all over Guilford county today I settled on the old scarecrow and shiny object tactic.  I hung tons of old CD's off of shiny packaging ribbon.  Everyone online, as well as locally has told us that the birds are going after the moisture since it has been so dry and hot.  So, I added a pretty little bird bath close by too.  I keep you posted on how it goes.
In spite of the recent troubles with stupid birds, we have had alot of success otherwise with our squash, zucchini, and jalapenos.  The tomatoes have started to come in and we have had luck to taste a few before they were stolen from us...can you tell how bitter I am?  We have cucumbers and eggplant coming in too.  My green and red peppers are not doing so hot, I have to get online and figure out a remedy for those too.  Something is totally devouring those as well.  I really don't want to put any chemicals on the vegetables, I am trying to stick with the more natural route...so we will see what I can turn up on that.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

Mara said...

You have tomatoes already?!?! Mine are barely beginning to turn orange.

I also have a problem with critters--birds, rats, my cats--eating my lettuce, tomatoes and herbs. So annoying!