Back in the day, it was considered your patriotic duty to keep a garden...so given the tough times before us, the global warming fever and the fact that veggies in the grocery store are just plain blah! Cody and I decided that we wanted to start our very own "Victory Garden". We spent all Saturday preparing it. We got up early and headed out to the massive farmer's market in HP's countryside and stocked up on seedlings of all varieties. Since, neither Cody or myself has much of a green thumb...we decided on hearty plants that were pretty established already.

North Carolina soil is super dense clay, so tilling by hand is impossible. We bought an tiller attachment for the weed whacker. It was more expensive than we thought, but Cody said it was absolute back breaking work and he was glad that he had it.


We got in several tomato varieties, eggplant, zucchini, squash, jalapenos, red peppers, and cucumbers. I am stoked!! I am going to start my herbs probably in a few weeks. My oregano and thyme from last is already coming back.
A hot hottie hubby, sorry had to sneak it in. He did all the hard work tilling and digging. We both hit the sack at like 8:30 that night, after taking some Advil. Getting old!
Holly took a peek at what we planted, she said we will have alot to harvest. She planted a garden last year and was very successful.
4 comments:
Wow, I am soooo jealous! My "garden" consists of potted tomatoes and herbs in my cement yard.
Our's is going great guns with more than I ever imagined. You'll have lots of veggies to eat. Yum
Get ready to push tomatoes on all of your friends. One year we had so many we couldn't eat them fast enough. Maybe you can freeze some for sauce. We also made pickles one year with our extra cucumbers. I commend your hard work!!
Ooh, fun! We have only put in a few seedlings in our garden. Last year we did tomatoes and couldn't keep up with them! It was crazy, but fun...and fresh veggies are so much better than what you get at the store...and ORGANIC. yum!
Post a Comment