Sunday, May 06, 2007

restoration hard-ware

So this is my screen door project. I found the original screen door from 1926 in our basement. I stripped 3 layers of paint (about 4 hours of work). I then sanded off all remaining paint (about 3 hours of work). Then stained it to match our front door. Then 3 coats of poly-urethaine.


















I even managed to find the original hardware in a box (there is lots of random stuff in the basement). Everything looked great but the lock/latch was broken. So I tried to chemical weld it together but it kept breaking.
I finally decided to do what I do best. I drilled on it. I cut slots and cold welded a screw into place. I know you are are impressed with how low budget it looks. Also fixed up the little rotater dealer bobber.

Finally putting it up. Totally matched and looks great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice screen door..looks great. Another dog...oh brother...You now get adaptered by a hillbilly dog....an hey..whats with all the Redneckville and Hillbilly town names. Remember..your Daddy came from one of those towns!!!!!!
That means....My Grandchild will be a little bit hillbilly!!!!!!!

Sue said...

Yeah dogs! Life is good & even better with pets. You look so happy Cody & the dog is too. Your house is a real home & so much more than brick. I tried fried green tomatos after you last post. Love you both.

Heather-Anne said...

No way man, this was reallllll scary redneck, trust us.