Sunday, May 06, 2007

Because we are bleeding heart animal lovers, that's why.

Cody and I took a little mini-trip over to Asheville this weekend for a concert, and came back with a dog. We haven't totally lost our minds just yet, you see... we tried everything we could to find her home. I will set the scene:

Cody was driving and I was sleeping, we were on the I-40 somewhere between Rednecktown and Hillbillyville. Suddenly, I feel the car turning around, suprised that we are already home, and quickly realizing that we are in the middle of nowhere, I sit up and ask, "where are we?"
Cody answers, "I just saw a dog on the side of the freeway, if I don't turn around, I won't be able to sleep tonight."
We flip around, and go on the search. We find the little pup up in the weeds on the side of the road, just off of the exit. After standing there for a bit, trying to figure out what to do, because she has got no tags, we call a friend who is a dog rescuer in High Point. She gives us some advice on what to do, and begs us not to call animal control. She claims she can find us some placement for her on Monday. Apparently, animal control will hold a non-aggressive dog for a week, and if not claimed they will destroy it. She must be from one of the houses off the road, right? We drive around and look at what there is in the area, a few trailers, a couple delapadated homes and a country general store/bus stop. We asked a few people if anyone had come looking for a dog that day, we got two replies:

1. "There's a guy down the road and across the interstate aways who messes with them kinda dogs". Huh?
2. "Somebody came a looking for a dog awhile back, but I can't reckon what color it was". Okay.

Yeah right. By the way, did I mention it is pouring rain?

So, we decided to head down the freeway a couple exits to the where there was a local vet, hoping to get a chip scan or a hopefully board her. No such luck, the vet was closed and when we called the emergency number, they tolds us they don't take strays... and no vet in the area would. We left a description of the dog with the store and at the vet office with a contact number. By this point, it was 5:00 Saturday evening, even if we drove back to Asheville or kept on going to Hickory, the Humane Society would have been closed. Here we are with a dog and no owner. We brought her home.

We bathed her (twice) in some flea-tick shampoo, and pulled off quite a few very ripe and happily fed ticks. Eww.
We brushed her lots.
And, Cody fed her. He now has a third best friend.
We could not help ourselves, we named her, so meet Cinco de "Maya"-- since we found her on the 5th of May.

All in all, she is super sweet. She has been socialized with other dogs, Jack and Flower seem to have taken right to her. Tillie doesn't seem to bother either, which is good. That makes her easier to place. She is young, you tell by her teeth, she may be only a year or two old. She isn't fixed and has already had at least one litter of pups. She is super skiddish around men, and does alot of cowering. She is also really underfed. Her ribs, hips, and shoulders stick out of her skin. She has started to perk up today, after feeding her and generally getting lots of love and attention from us and the neighbors kids. Maybe, it is just us trying to make ourselves feel better, but it doesn't seem like she came from a very good place. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, to have her scanned for a chip and have a general wellness exam. She could possibly have heart worms or other stuff. We have been keeping her outside of the deck, so she won't pass anything to our dogs or get stuff in the house. Hopefully, our friend can get her to a lab rescue this week.

No comments: