Friday, December 15, 2006

Tis the season

Hot Chocolate or Eggnog?
It has always been eggnog, but now that I am preggo, I can no longer enjoy the raw egg yumminess with spiced rum. A double whammy! And, hot chocolate is okay... but no alternative by far.

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa always wraps the gifts, unless they are to big. Bikes, skiis and Barbie houses were alway a scavenger hunt or set up all pretty with a bow.

Colored lights or white?
A tacky colored light Christmas tree is the only way to go. I just don't get the whole theme tree thing, your tree should be covered with ornaments you made in the second grade, and a new ornament every year to symbolize something important that happened, ex: a new house, a vacation, a wedding, a baby and so on.

Do you hang mistletoe?
Every year I hang the it right in the main door to the living room. It is the first decoration I bought when I got my own house and it is all dried out a flaky. I have to do occasional sweeps to pick up the pieces so Tillie doesn't mistake it for a kibble and eat it.

When do you put up decorations?
It is different every year, I should try and do it the weekend following Thanksgiving, but we are never home. Maybe I will start a tradition and do it the first Saturday in December.

What does your favorite Christmas meal include?
My mom's Roast Turkey and stuffing, and sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie, and Kielbasa, and raisen bread, and Oh! Sorry... I got excited.

Favorite Christmas memory from childhood?
The year everyone got sick and we had to stay home in Wellsboro and not visit the family, we were all sooo disapointed. But, it ended up being fun because for the first time we got to play with all of our new toys and not have to wait until the New Year to do so. Mom was better in a few days and then we went down for family time, it was great.

How and when did you learn the truth about Santa?
Truth? What truth? I honestly have no idea what this question is asking.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
As kids, we always opened our gifts to each other after mass. Now, we wait until morning.Snow! Love it or leave it? Love it! Of course, unless it snows so much that the power goes out. Then, you can't watch the "The Chirstmas Story" on TBS. And, you have to pull the half cooked Turkey from the oven, carve it up and BBQ it on a grill. Just not the same.

Can you ice skate?
Yeah, but I haven't done it in a few years. Frankly, it just isn't the same as skating on a real frozen pond or lake, like when I was a kid in Wellsboro.

Do you remember your favorite gift?
Crystal, my original Cabbage Patch doll, homemade with love from my mother.It was the year grannys were beating each other up at Kmart to buy the precious cargo for their spoiled grandchildren, and every little girl, who was anyone, wanted one. I am not sure if it was an inability to get one in the tiny town of Wellsboro, or it just wasn't in the budget (I did get a badass Barbie house that year too). My mom stayed up late after I went to bed and made her for me. She looked as dahm close to a CP doll as one could do, but my little 5 year old self couldn't recognize that. Sorry Mom! Doesn't count now that she is my favorite Christmas gift of all time?

What's the most important thing about Christmas for you?
Being with our families!

What is your favorite Christmas tradition?
Running to our rooms to see what the Christmas elf left us under our pillows after midnight mass! We alway got a little started present, of chocolate or an ornament to tie us over till morning.

What tops your tree?
An angel I made myself, it kind of resembles the angel that was on our tree as kids.

What is your favorite Christmas song?
"O Holy Night" and "Baby It's Cold Outside"

2 comments:

Lora said...

Is it wrong for me to wish that you are having a little girl? Because that is what I asked Santa for!
Are you going to find out?
Have you bought anything yet?
I ate egg nog ice cream last Christmas and it was divine. Hooray Baskin Robbins!

Heather-Anne said...

We are not going to find out, there are just to few surprises left in life. MMmmmm... ice cream.