Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Butterfly Farm-St. Martin


The french side had a "must see" day trip to a butterfly farm. It was really quite cool. Under a huge canopy, we entered an almost rain forest like setting. There we got a short tour and then were set free to explore, there were thousands of caterpillars, chrysalises, and butterflies of a dozen or more varieties. It was truly worth the drive out, and ended up being a part of one of the greatest days with my family to date.

A couple shots of a few that we got to see and hold!
This big beauty only lives for 5 days after it transforms, it was magnificent!

Sam was fascinated! I was honestly surprised how interested he was in the whole science of it.
I think I may get him one of those at home butterfly kits for his birthday.

Catching a Monarch was a huge goal
Two of the God's most beautiful creations!
Reaching!
Learning the "owl butterfly"

We spent the rest of the afternoon chilling out at a beach nearby, we enjoyed some local catches and swimming with Sammy! That night we had a killer lobster dinner and after dark swim back at the condo. Cody and I also got to enjoy a wonderful bottle of a french Bordeaux that is near impossible to find anywhere in the US, it was so good we almost drove back to the little wine shop we found it in in Margot the french capital.

1 comment:

Kammy said...

Soooo cool, Heather! Great photos. A long time ago I went to a butterfly place like this in Canada--it was awesome.
And, funny, Josie wants one of the butterfly kits and I think I'm going to get her one for her birthday. You should definitely get one for Sam. Lucas's kindergarten class had one and it was really cool.