It happens, I know. It is God's way or natures way of taking care of an unhealthy pregnancy, I know. It is so common, I know. There is nothing I could do to prevent it, I know. I have heard them all and it doesn't make it suck any less. I loved that little baby from the moment I saw the hint of a double blue line with all my soul. I feel empty. I feel sad. I feel frustrated. I feel sad. Did I say that? Oh yeah. None of my thoughts about the whole thing are rational...
There was a tiny, little silver lining, my mom was here when it happened. And, boy is that a time when a girl needs her mommy. My poor husband has to deal with the hormonal aftermath that is me, I am trying to be easy on him.
So since that was Cody and my "antiversary" as we have been affectionately calling it, we did get a little alone time together on Saturday. My folks packed up the sugar-booger and took him down to Charlotte to be with his cousins, so we could absorb was just happened and try to reconnect. We needed some cheering up and nothing says cheer like Chinese food and the"Hangover". By the by, if you haven't seen this movie...go and bring a change of clothes...you might pee yourself it is that funny. Really. We ate, we laughed, we drank midnight champagne and chocolate cake, and slept till 10:00 the next morning. It was strangely, after all the badness, one of the best nights I have had with Cody. It makes me thank my lucky stars that I landed such a perfect husband, it amazes me how he can make me feel so good when I feel so bad. I did have a shiny moment in the weekend, it was wrapped in that beautiful, robins egg blue box of shear girly wonderfulness...a total surprise. He picked out an elegant band to celebrate our 5 years together.
We drove down to Charlotte on Sunday to barbecue with my brother and his family, Sam had been having the time of his life. And, as if the cosmos decided to just end the weekend with a bang...little Sambo had his first kiss-with a wasp! The boys were playing outside, when Sam came running to Holly crying and cradling his hand. Joe kept yelling, "A bee, a bee!" We all thought it just got him on the hand, until about 5 minutes into it his mouth started to blow up. I thought he was going into anaphylactic shock from the sting, we all scrambled a bit, threw him into the car with the intention of going to the drug store or hospital. We had Holly's epi-pen in case he started to have trouble breathing, but we all soon realised he must have just been stung on the lip also, most likely in reaction to the sting on the hand and he put the wasp in to his mouth, where it nailed him again. It was very scary! We got to Riteaid and gave him a big dose of Benadryl, the swelling went down within a few hours. Uncle Hamp and Pop-pop killed them a whole mess of wasps, there was a nest built in the fence. Lucky for the other boys no one else was stung.
So, tell me...how was your weekend? It had to have been better than mine.
A few pics of my poor swollen babe
9 comments:
im sorry to laugh but he looks so cute with that swollen lip! and i am sorry about your loss. i never know the right thing to say to a person when something terrible happens so I will just leave it at that. I will be thinking about you. xoxox
Oh no! Poor Sammy!! Glad he's OK.
Heather, you know I miscarried my 2nd baby, right? I understand your feelings. All I can say is take the time to grieve...one day it will all make sense in some weird way, I promise. *hugs* Let me know if you need to talk!
Oh Heather! I wish I could hug you through the computer. There are no words to make it better. Only time can do that, and Cody and Sam. I'm glad that your mom was there.
Sam is too cute with his swollen lips. He looks like a celebrity after some bad plastic surgery!! Hope he's feeling better. I still think he has the best hair ever!
I'm so happy you and Cody had a chance to celebrate LIFE after your loss. It can be so hard to take stock of what you have when your heart is hurting so badly.
And this is a very brave post. So many women are hesitant to talk about miscarriage, and I think it is important that we stick together in the face of it. I had a terrible miscarriage (not my only one, but definitely the worst) a dozen or so years ago, and I didn't want to tell any of my friends. The ones that I did tell seemed to convey the attitude that my loss was a blessing. I was unmarried and in college. But I loved that baby, dammit. And I loved the man who put that baby all up in my guts. The physical and emotional pain was unbearable.
If I knew then what I know now- that it happens to a lot of people, that it isn't a punishment (I was sure I was being punished for having sex before getting married), that it isn't anything I did or didn't do, that it is supposed to hurt, to be sad, to be intense, I would have gotten through it much better.
This is turning into a post in and of itself. I just want to say thank you for your words, and thank you for showing that life certainly does go on.
And blue boxes!! Squee!!
Anniversaries are the best, because that's where you totally rack up the bling! My wedding band ain't got nothin' on my anniversary band.
Poor poor Sammy. Jake swells up at a mosquito bite. I can't imagine what would happen if we lived somewhere there were bees flying around everywhere!
Heather, so sorry to hear about the loss of the baby. I lost my first, and it is hard, hard, hard. You have two sweet men in your life to help you through, though. I know you appreciate them.
Poor Sam! What a kisser on that boy!
Oh, look at that poor little monkey! Sweetheart.
I love you and miss you and you are always in my thoughts.
I agree, very brave post, and knowing you, it feels better to get it out! HUGS!!!! You will get through this, you have a fantastic fam and all the love in the world, so laugh, cry, eat a shit ton of ice cream!!! HEAL! and poor sam, i swell up like that when i get bug bites...he will hate you when he is 18 and finds out you posted his swollen lip pic on the internet!
Heather, I thank God you are so full of life and will again be ready to have another bundle of joy. I'm so glad Cody is supportive; you really see others the clearest thru tears.
Poor Sammy had to a kiss a wasp for his first kiss. Big Sam stepped on a bee and was stung between his big toe and the next toe; his foot was fat. Must run in the family--ha.
Glad you'll soon be here in CA but sad I won't get to see you. Lots of love, Sue
Heather, I'm really sorry to hear that you lost the baby. I won't even pretend that I can relate to what you're going through.
I agree with Lora, though. It's amazing that you and Cody were able to celebrate your love and life together despite your loss. Definitely a testament to the strength of your relationship.
Post a Comment