Tuesday, July 03, 2007

40 weeks, overDUE

The child does not want to come out.Cody made me put the hat on, silliness is always good when you are a little disappointed I suppose.
I went in for my 40 week check-up and to my dismay, still no action. The baby has still not descended and as Dr. O'Keefe put it "you have a lot of work ahead of you this week". He checked for amniotic fluid leaks and dialation, everything is sealed up like Fort Knoxx. They also hooked me up to a fetal heart rate monitor, and had me sit for a non-stress test. This looks for the baby's heart rate, uterine contractions and fetal movement. Everything looks great, the baby is definitely not stressed... in fact, I am pretty sure s/he is very comfortable. The heart rate was pretty stable at around 140, but would skip around to as high as 170 during a contraction (which were mild, at best).
The doctor is having me come in again this Friday afternoon, to check my progress and the official eviction notice is being served Sunday night, July 8th. If I do not go into labor on my own, they will bring me in to start the process of induction. They will start me on a medicine that will thin my cervix called, Cervidil. That following morning, if no contractions occur, they then will start Pitocin. Pitocin will bring on the contractions artificially. It is much more painful than natural contractions, and can sometimes lead to other medical interventions. I can't say that I am thrilled about all this "induction" business... but after a certain point, my womb is no longer the best place for the baby to be. There are risks associated with both allowing the baby to go over and starting the induction. I know that I have the option of continuing to hold out for natural labor to occur, but honestly people, I can't sleep, my back and rib cage are KILLING me, headaches, nausea, yada-yada-yada... all your typical pregnant lady complaints, I am starting to get a little grumpy. It has been our plan to have a natural birth from the beginning, and I must say that I am a little disappointed that it may not go that route. What can one do? Here's to hoping the little one gets motivated on its own.
My mom is here, thank god, to get me thru this last week. She will be a blessing to help get the nest ready and just keep my mind off of this whole thing.

3 comments:

Lora said...

induction is horribly painful, but still manageable. you can do it, don't let it get you down.

the important thing is that bf is safe, and it seems to be that is the case.

big love to the belly and the mommy!

Sue said...

So glad your Mom's there with you to help; I'm with you in the Spirit and cheering you and BF on. Peace & JOY. Sue

Anonymous said...

My little one was showing no signs of coming on his own either. I went to the dr. on a Tuesday, two days overdue and they scheduled my induction for Friday. I too was scared of the medical intervention. Went to bed Wednesday night still with nothing, I never even had Braxton Hicks. He came on his own on Thursday morning. You still have time. BF may surprise you and say "Okay, today mom, lets do this!" Can't wait to hear the happy news. Take care and try to enjoy the last few days of your exclusive time together. Before you know it, everyone will be hogging him/her from you. :)Tavia