Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Taking a minute...

I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner right now, chopping veggies and rolling out a stromboli. I can hear the sweet sounds of Sam playing trains and pretending in the living room. He is having a 2 year old conversation with Jack (our dog) about tunnels and ramps. It makes me smile inside and out that he is such a funny, imaginative little boy.
As I walked out of Sam's school today, the director stopped me. She wanted to tell me a funny story about Sam and some burnt cookies. She was cracking up because Sam won't stop teasing her about the cookies she burnt two weeks ago. She went on to say how in all her 40 years of teaching children, she had never met a child with such a sense of humor at such a young age. It made my day, like it would for any parent told how special someone thought their child was.
I forget he is only 2 years and 4 months old. Sometimes, he seems so much older because of the conversations I can have with him.
Golly, dinner smells good!
So, anyway I am taking a minute to count my blessings. He is such a healthy, funny, great to be around kind of kid. I can spend all day cuddling him and he lets me. I try to memorize every minute of how he feels right now, because alas, he will someday be to big to snuggle and far away in a college dorm, a far off city, and a far off life away from my living room.

4 comments:

Lora said...

I love little moments where I can breathe and smile and say "yes, this is it. this is how everything is supposed to be."

I hate little moments where I gasp and frown and say "15 more years and he will be on his own"

Mara said...

There's nothing better than those moments you look at your life and feel honestly and truly content.

You and Sam have a long journey too his college days. Before than, there will be first days at school, first kisses, first cars, first jobs--plenty of firsts and other moments for you to cherish.

Tavia said...

Stop making me tear up before 8am!

Ange said...

I tell both the kiddies now that they must promise to snuggle with me when they are big....listening to kids playing pretend is my favorite, however mia is now at the stage where she is becoming a bit boy obsessed and i can hear her play out princess/prince scenes and i get a little nervous about what i will be in store for when she is older..